I couldn't let the holiday season pass by without sharing my take on everyone's favorite holiday drink – hot chocolate. This is not an 'original to me' recipe but adapted and adjusted for our taste preferences. So if thick, creamy, rich cocoa is your jam this recipe is for you. It's worth the extra effort *and calories* to make once or twice during the holiday season.
This is for roughly 2 mugs of hot chocolate. Just double the quantities for more mugs.
Note: this is not a dairy-free recipe. I have not tried this recipe out with anything other than whole milk so I cannot speak to its success with milk substitute.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of brewed coffee
- cinnamon for topping
- nutmeg for topping
- whipped cream for topping
- In a cold saucepan on the stove pour in your milk, sweetened condensed milk, coffee, and chocolate chips
- Slowly bring the temperature up on the stovetop
- It'll be over low heat for about 30 minutes
- Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon
- You'll want to wait for the chocolate chips to fully melt and the mixture to thicken
- Pour in a mug and add your whipped topping on top.
- Add grated cinnamon and nutmeg over the top
- Serve and enjoy!