There’s something about this time of the year. We’re busier, happier, and surrounded by more friends and family than ever. With guests passing through, one of our favorite things is to host meals where we can gather loved ones around our table and cook a decadent meal filled with family recipes and new creations.
It’s a sweet time of catching up free from other distractions (everyone has to eat, after all) and a great time to pull out favorite dishes, fun table decor, and old memories.
Today’s recipe is a long-time favorite that can be easily replicated for breakfast, brunch, and dinner. It’s a spin on a Southern classic that’s about as easy as using an Instant Pot and infinitely better tasting.
Thank you Castello Cheese for sponsoring this post. Castello Cheese makes entertaining easy with its range of flavors.
The recipe is Savory Waffles with Fried Chicken and is quite possibly one of my favorite dishes to cook. And don’t worry, I won’t be telling you to fry your own chicken for this dish. I cheat a bit and pick up freshly fried chicken from a local grocery store to save on time and avoid a potential disaster.
So, when it’s all said and done, this recipe is excessively easy with only a few ingredients needed and fairly fast to recreate.
But I will warn you, it’ll be a hit with everyone who likes food so a few initial instructions:
- You might want to double the recipe if you’re hosting an entire family or you’re keen to have leftovers.
- You HAVE to buy high quality cheese. My go-to is the soft and buttery Castello Creamy Havarti Cheese. It’s a game-changer for this recipe and I’ve found that pre-shredded cheese just doesn’t work.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ¼ cups of milk – preferably full-fat milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of Castello Creamy Havarti Cheese grated (discover where to buy Castello Cheese near you)
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, milk and butter
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine thoroughly
- Fold in the grated cheese so it’s well incorporated into the batter
- Preheat your waffle iron so it’s ideal cooking temperature
- Use a ½ cup measuring cup of batter for the perfect, plate-size waffle
- Cook batter in waffle iron until crispy and golden brown
- Top with warm (not hot) fried chicken breast
- Drizzle with pure maple syrup for a sweet and savory experience
- Melt Castello Smoked Gouda Cheese for a decadent cheesy taste
- Rough chop chives, mushrooms, or even tomatoes to add to your stack
Just a Few Notes About the Recipe
Quality cheese really does take this recipe to the next level. I use Castello Cheese – specifically the Creamy Havarti – and I couldn’t use a lesser quality product in these waffles. Castello Cheese has such a well-rounded flavor profile, which makes it absolute perfection for this recipe and really any holiday recipe.
The Havarti is soft and buttery so it cooks so nicely in the waffle iron, but, if you’re not a Havarti fan, you are guaranteed to find a type of Castello Cheese that’s to your liking. They have over 40 different types of cheese and a really lovely packaging design that lets you know the flavors, strengths, and best uses.
Also, this recipe is perfect for doubling if you have a large gathering or just like popping leftovers into the freezer. The waffles crisp up nicely when reheated in a toaster oven and make for awesome lunches or quick breakfasts.
If you need a bit more recipe inspiration, Pinterest is filled with amazing recipes and delicious ideas. I pin recipe ideas almost every day from general searching and also the Castello Cheese Pinterest board because who doesn’t like a good cheesy dish around the holidays!