Lemon custard or lemon curd, has this delicious way of waking up your palette for spring. It's a delicious blend of sweet and tart, that pairs well with blooming flowers and soft warm breezes. While I don't particularly enjoy lots of sweets, this is a treat I could have in my fridge from March until September with its variety of uses and applications.
It can be the filling for a lemon tart, a spread on sugar cookies, the inside of a popover or donut, or just enjoyed alone with a spoon.
While I don't have the recipe 100% perfected, that's the beauty of making something from scratch and by hand, it turns out beautiful – rustic – and slightly different every time. Nothing like a bit of baking to keep you on your toes.
Follow along on YouTube or the written recipe below for instructions.
Watch the YouTube Video
Lemon Custard Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp butter
- Combine all your ingredients minus the butter into a glass mixing bowl
- Mix well
- Get a pot of water simmering or use a double boiler
- Place your lemon mixture over the simmering water and gently whisk for 15 minutes or until the mixture reaches 160 degrees f
- remove from heat and incorporate your butter into the mix
- pour into a glass jar and refrigerate for at least 1 hour