We're leaving summer behind. The crumpled browning leaves tell the story of a fading season. And it's right about now that I start to get kitchen antsy. Autumn and winter bring so many beautiful food options – soups, spices, baked goods, breads, roasts, and rues.
It's coziness translated into food and personally I couldn't think of anything better.
Today's post is having an in-between moment. It's the coziness of a fresh-based cake combined with the bright, summer flavor of lemon.
And on that note I want to mention the hero product of this post – VOMFASS Lemon Olive Oil. It's a must have in any kitchen and the number of dishes that have been transformed with it is astounding.
While this post is not sponsored by the brand VOMFASS I recently received a care package from them with so many of their beautiful olive oils and balsamic vinegars. I shared a photo on Instagram of this cake and got so many recipe questions I decided to take it further and create a blog post. Bon appetit!
The point is, olive oil cake is in. So for a family gathering I decided to test my baking skills and put one together. I am far from a baker. I fancy myself a chef, but baking is not my forte. It doesn't help that sweet treats are not my favorite. Potato chips over brownies every day!
But because I had a box of this gourmet, fancy fancy lemon infused olive oil from VOMFASS I decided to look up a recipe for a lemon olive oil cake. It then quickly spiraled into a lemon rosemary olive oil cake and the rest is history.
Lemon Olive Oil Cake Recipe
PS – I did not invent this recipe or the proportions for this recipe. I did adapt it because no one called for lemon infused olive oil.
Cake Ingredients Needed:
- 1 cup lemon olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup honey
- 2/3 cup heavy cream * or whole milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon fine chipped rosemary
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cups honey
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest from 4 lemons
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup ghee or butter
Whisk all ingredients together in a small saucepot. Stir constantly for 5 to 7 minutes until the mixture thickens. Chill in fridge.
Assembling the Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 325F. Flour two 8″ or 9″ round cake pans.
- Beat olive oil, eggs, honey, milk, lemon juice and lemon zest in the bowl of a standing mixer with the whisk attachment until creamy.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and fold into the egg mixture until fully combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely on a rack then spread your lemon filling in between the layers.
- Ice with a basic icing recipe if desired
- Decorate with fresh rosemary.
Notes and Thoughts
- VOMFASS is the brand I have bought and will continue to buy my olive oil through. I also have the Basil Olive Oil and it's delicious.
- You can also use lemon olive on chicken and fish. It's delicious on a baked chicken with mushroom risotto on the side.
- Pasta with lemon olive oil drizzled as a finish is also an amazing summer into fall dish. Add a squash, cherry tomato, and fresh mozzarella medley to finish it off.